History of St Mary’s Hospital Mariannhill
St. Mary’s Hospital was built in 1927 by a group of Trappist monks who arrived in South Africa in 1882. The monks appealed to women in their home parishes in Europe for assistance and five women responded who formed the foundation of the Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood which is the Religious Order of nuns that still owns the Hospital today. Today the Hospital is governed by St Mary’s Catholic Mission Hospital Trust.
The Hospital is situated in Pinetown, just off the N3 highway, in the outer district of Ethekwini Municipality in KwaZulu –Natal province. It is a 200-bed, Level 1 District Hospital, serving a population of approximately 1 million and acts as a referral
Hospital for about 16 provincial and municipal primary healthcare clinics as well as 2 community health centres (CHCs).
The surrounding community is largely deprived and the hospital is the only district hospital in the area. To this end hospital has been receiving grant funding from the KZN Department of Health to deliver level 1 public health services to patients.